Have a general question about employment law? Want to share a story? I welcome all comments and questions. I can't give legal advice here about specific situations but will be glad to discuss general issues and try to point you in the right direction. If you need legal advice, contact an employment lawyer in your state. Remember, anything you post here will be seen publicly, and I will comment publicly on it. It will not be confidential. Govern yourself accordingly. If you want to communicate with me confidentially as Donna Ballman, Florida lawyer rather than as Donna Ballman, blogger, my firm's website is here.

Monday, March 10, 2014

What Can I Do About Sexual Harassment At A Small Company?

An AOL Jobs reader asked me:
I work for a small family-owned business.
One of the married employers is having an affair with another owner. There are pictures going around of him standing in his doorway (which is directly across the hall from her office) masturbating and then going into her office, where she continued the act for him. This all took place within thirty feet of his wife's office, which could have been seen by anyone walking out of their office into the hallway.

The company was recently sued for sexual harassment by another employee for sexual acts from this same man, which was settled out of court in the ex-employee's favor.

The daily strain of coming to the office is getting hard to handle. I can't afford to quit, but health-wise I don't know if I can continue. I have had a headache for four solid months due to the strain of this situation. I am three years away from retirement, which makes it difficult to quit, and I also carry the health insurance for my husband and myself.

Do you have any advice for me?
Yikes! First and most important advice: get the heck out of there if you can. For the rest of my advice, read my column at AOL Jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and general questions but this isn't the place to ask confidential legal questions. If you need an employee-side employment lawyer, try http://exchange.nela.org/findalawyer to locate one in your state.