Have a general question about employment law? Want to share a story? I welcome all comments and questions. I can't give legal advice here about specific situations but will be glad to discuss general issues and try to point you in the right direction. If you need legal advice, contact an employment lawyer in your state. Remember, anything you post here will be seen publicly, and I will comment publicly on it. It will not be confidential. Govern yourself accordingly. If you want to communicate with me confidentially as Donna Ballman, Florida lawyer rather than as Donna Ballman, blogger, my firm's website is here.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Miami-Dade Court Rules In Favor Of Gay Marriage

As I predicted yesterday in my post about the Key West ruling favoring gay marriage, the other Florida courts that have cases pending on same-sex marriage are starting to rule. Miami-Dade Judge Sarah Zabel ruled yesterday (after my blog post) that denying gay marriage violates the Equal Protection Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

Don't rush to Miami yet. The judge stayed her ruling pending appeal.

Will any Florida clerks of court have the guts to start issuing licenses because they swore to uphold the U.S. Constitution? The BoulderDenver and Pueblo Colorado clerks did. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and general questions but this isn't the place to ask confidential legal questions. If you need an employee-side employment lawyer, try http://exchange.nela.org/findalawyer to locate one in your state.