Have a general question about employment law? Want to share a story? I welcome all comments and questions. I can't give legal advice here about specific situations but will be glad to discuss general issues and try to point you in the right direction. If you need legal advice, contact an employment lawyer in your state. Remember, anything you post here will be seen publicly, and I will comment publicly on it. It will not be confidential. Govern yourself accordingly. If you want to communicate with me confidentially as Donna Ballman, Florida lawyer rather than as Donna Ballman, blogger, my firm's website is here.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Fourth Florida Court Recognizes Gay Marriage

Adding to the landslide of cases coming down in Florida, a Palm Beach court ruled that it must recognize a Delaware same-sex marriage. In this case, another silly result from Florida's constitutional amendment banning recognition of same-sex marriages was that a widower couldn't be designated as a personal representative for his spouse's estate.

“There is no justification in denying Mr. Simpson the privilege of acting as the fiduciary, based solely on the gender and sexual orientation of his now-deceased spouse,” ruled the judge.

No clerks of court have started issuing marriage licenses in Florida, and all the cases are stayed pending appeal. I'll keep you posted here of the latest developments.

And now that I have your attention, I want to remind you that the American Bar Association's nomination period for the ABA Blawg 100, in which this blog has had the honor of being included the past several years, ends Friday at 5 p.m. Eastern time. The nomination form is here. If you enjoy my posts, I'd sure appreciate your nomination. They'll ask you for some links to posts you liked. Some I can suggest are:

When Is A Company A Joint Employer With Its Franchise Operators?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and general questions but this isn't the place to ask confidential legal questions. If you need an employee-side employment lawyer, try http://exchange.nela.org/findalawyer to locate one in your state.