Have a general question about employment law? Want to share a story? I welcome all comments and questions. I can't give legal advice here about specific situations but will be glad to discuss general issues and try to point you in the right direction. If you need legal advice, contact an employment lawyer in your state. Remember, anything you post here will be seen publicly, and I will comment publicly on it. It will not be confidential. Govern yourself accordingly. If you want to communicate with me confidentially as Donna Ballman, Florida lawyer rather than as Donna Ballman, blogger, my firm's website is here.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Who Owns My Social Media Contacts and Posts?

Most employees think their social media is none of their employer’s business. So, who owns your social media contacts and posts? While you may think you own your contacts and posts online, the answer may depend on what agreements you’ve signed with your employer.

When you leave, it is possible for your former employer to make a claim to some or all of your social media contacts or posts.

My guest post on Monster.com tells what you need to know about who owns your social media when you leave your job.

Thanks to my friends over at MonsterThinking for continuing to ask me to post. It's such an honor to be asked to guest blog for the nation's best job hunting site (and the one I use when I need to hire employees).

1 comment:

  1. Related to that post, I'd love it if you could do a post on generic ways you may be able to modify your default agreements when starting with a company in order to protect yourself, and who/how you need to get it signed so your modifications are official.

    Specifically when it comes to IP, I understand there is some language you can use to state that both your employer, and you have full rights to the IP you create.


I appreciate your comments and general questions but this isn't the place to ask confidential legal questions. If you need an employee-side employment lawyer, try http://exchange.nela.org/findalawyer to locate one in your state.