Have a general question about employment law? Want to share a story? I welcome all comments and questions. I can't give legal advice here about specific situations but will be glad to discuss general issues and try to point you in the right direction. If you need legal advice, contact an employment lawyer in your state. Remember, anything you post here will be seen publicly, and I will comment publicly on it. It will not be confidential. Govern yourself accordingly. If you want to communicate with me confidentially as Donna Ballman, Florida lawyer rather than as Donna Ballman, blogger, my firm's website is here.

Monday, March 3, 2014

Ask Donna: Answers to AOL Jobs Reader Questions On Wages and Overtime

AOL Jobs readers have LOTS of questions on wages and overtime. I answered a couple questions in my column.

One reader asked:
I have a question pertaining to time. At my current employer, we are technically salaried but we clock in and out for time. Although our boss states it's to be able to calculate PTO, he takes minute for minute once we clock out if under 40 hours. If we are over 40 hours, we get PTO and not over-time. The PTO is minute for minute. Also, if we work through lunch, he will take the hour away stating he "has to". so basically our time card won't be a true reflection of our time worked because he always takes an hour for lunch whether you take it or not. Is this illegal? Should i contact the DOL?

Another reader asked:
I am an LPN and I work for a ministry in Tennessee. They have demanded that we clock out at our designated time even tho we are not finished with our work. They want us to finish our work "off the clock". I would like to know if this is legal, and what can be done about it.

For my answers, read my article at AOL Jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and general questions but this isn't the place to ask confidential legal questions. If you need an employee-side employment lawyer, try http://exchange.nela.org/findalawyer to locate one in your state.